Today, Bets and I undertook a massive task: to go through the accumulated papers of 10 years, and dump what needed to be dumped. We just threw out a 4 drawer filing cabinet, and it was packed with useless papers. One of these papers was the following, from my time at OU as a Master’s student in philosophy. My observed rules of the academic study of philosophy.
- Whenever someone says “I will show” they probably won’t.
- Any ethical argument that relies on a Nazi example is automatically at question.
- The non-philosophical default setting for metaphysics is realism; for ethics is relativism; and for logic is ignorance.
- Even diehard Idealists won’t step in front of a bus
- “Ceteris Paribus” conditions aren’t and won’t
If any of that makes any sense, you paid attention in Intro to Philosophy.