- Covenant with our patrons
- Stay ahead of expectations
- First of the new libraries, not te last of the old
- Design and Build an absolutely fantastic new library (NB: ummm…thats a goal?)
- Use technology wherever it will make us more efficient and effective, and however it will meet our patron’s demands
- Tolerate Uncertainty
- Eternal Values
- New Technology
The library technology center is in the basement! The concept of a street-level greenway that continues into the building is really clever and forward thinking.
“We’re just a cute little public library in Southwestern CT”
Lots of spaces for collaborative work, together and with the staff.
Technology Layers in the Library
- Patron Indirect
- Patron Direct
No Tech services, no Circ office…90% of the books are shelf-ready. They don’t care where a material comes from: the ups truck or a patron return, it’s the same workflow.
Outsource EVERYTHING related to Technical Services
What would a library be if it needed no booktrucks? A booktruck is full of things that aren’t in the hands of a patron.
- Active item back on shelf in 20 minutes
- Time from ordering a book to first Circ is 18 hours
NB: Holy. Shit.
No more defensive positions. Think of reference as a concierge desk.