Some exciting stuff has been going on over the last few days that point the way towards a possible next-release of Librarybox. Thanks to some code written by Eduardo Robles over at RGVLibroBox and work by Matthias Strubel, we’ve got a proof-of-concept in place for a LibraryBox release written for Piratebox .5.1. This is a huge step, as this release of Piratebox includes a new webserver (lighttpd) and a much-improved website structure, which allows for more customization of interface.
I gave it a first-try last night, and with some more work tonight I’m hopeful that I can have a proof-of-concept to tinker with. After that, I’ll have a much better idea of how much work it will be to get it into shape for a 2.0 release.
Evidently sometime in the last couple of days, the OpenWRT team did some website reorg which moved some files that PirateBox needs in order to install…which means if you are attempting to follow the v.1.5 LibraryBox install that rides on top of PirateBox, it’s broken.’
Thankfully, Matthias Strubel with the PirateBox project has already ID’d a fix, described in this forum post:
I’m adding this to the upcoming v.1.5 website update as well.
After considerable testing, I believe I can finally say that LibraryBox v1.5 is officially stable on the TP-Link WR703N. The WR703N is the little brother to the MR3020, and is available for as little as $21.79 on Amazon, with free shipping.
More importantly for the growth of the LibraryBox Project, the WR703N is available in the Chinese, Japanese, and other Asian markets in ways that the MR3020 isn’t. So not only do we get a much cheaper option for LibraryBoxing, but for those in some of the areas that may need the freedom of information the most…well, now they have LibraryBox as an option.
I have written instructions put together for the WR703N, as the install varies slightly from the MR3020…those will go up in concert with the revamp of the LibraryBox website, coming in the next week or so. I also altered the install script to be universal for both routers, and that is already live on Github.
It has been far too long since I posted here, but it’s been a very busy month. I’ve been busy working on an update of LibraryBox, making it fast, more stable, and most importantly, far easier to install. The code for LibraryBox v1.5 is on Github, and the installation instructions are forthcoming. One of the reasons that I’ve not published the current set of installation instructions is that I am working on a feature for Make Magazine on LibraryBox, and I want to ensure that they are as thorough as possible before they go to them, and up on the LibraryBox site.
I’ve also been playing around a bit with a MakerBot Replicator that we purchased at MPOW, figuring out its idiosyncrasies. Part of that process has been finding the easiest way to do simple object creation, so in that attempt, I designed a box to hold your LibraryBox:
You can edit one for yourself, or download and print. It’s also in place over at Thingiverse, if you want to download or comment on it there.
So the silence here isn’t to be taken for inactivity. A new version of LibraryBox, an article for Make, and my first object on Thingiverse counts as a pretty good month.